Pinot Noir ‘Creation Estate’ 2022 (90/100)
Wine importer Vinites sent me this bottle to celebrate International Pinot Noir Day, and of course, to taste. I was delighted to try this wine, especially since I’ve been exploring Pinot Noir wines from different regions lately, such as the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, and now also from South Africa. This allows me to discover what different regions can do with the same grape, resulting in a completely different yet, in some respects, similar wine.
This wine is made by Creationwines, and their vineyards are located on a plateau in the picturesque Hemel-en-Aarde Valley in the Walker Bay wine district. The proximity of the Atlantic Ocean results in a predominantly cool climate, allowing the grapes to ripen slowly and retain their fresh acidity, resulting in no heavy jammy flavors. After fermentation, the wine matures for ten to twelve months in oak barrels, of which 25% are new. The wine is lightly filtered to ensure that as little flavor as possible is lost, and then bottled.
The Creation Pinot Noir is a beautiful, elegant wine with a light ruby color, as expected from a Pinot Noir. The aromas are intense, with ripe red fruit, raspberry, and dried green herbs, leather, and tobacco. The palate is fruity and elegant with ripe red fruit, chocolate, raspberry, dried green herbs, and earthy flavors. The wine’s special terroir is evident, with a slight clay flavor and fine earthy tones in addition to the oak aging. Combined with medium tannins and medium(+) acidity, this makes for a very pleasant wine. This wine can also be served chilled in the summer and is highly recommended to try.
About the wine
Grape variety: 100% Pinot Noir
Origin: Walker Bay in South Africa
Vineyard: Hemel-en-Aarde Valley in the Walker Bay wine district near the Atlantic Ocean, resulting in a predominantly cool climate.
Vinification: After fermentation, the wine matures for ten to twelve months in oak barrels, of which 25% are new.
NL Import: https://vinites.com/
Price range: € 20-25
My Tasting Notes
In the glass, the wine has a light ruby red color.
On the nose, you’ll notice ripe red fruit, specifically raspberry and cherry, along with dried green herbs, earthy tones, leather, tobacco, and light wood tones.
On the palate, you’ll taste ripe red fruit, raspberry, and chocolate, along with fine wood tones. The wine has medium tannins and medium(+) acidity, with fine earthy tones that give it a beautiful terroir expression.
About Pinot Noir Grapes
The Pinot Noir grape is one of the most popular grape varieties in the world, known for producing some of the most delicious and elegant wines. It has several unique characteristics that contribute to the popularity of wines made from it, including:
- Subtlety: Pinot Noir wines are known for their subtle flavors and aromas. The grape is sensitive to changes in climate and soil, which can cause the taste of the wine to vary depending on the conditions in which the grapes were grown. The grape is also thin-skinned, which makes it more susceptible to disease and damage, but it also allows for greater expression of terroir in the wine.
- Freshness: Pinot Noir wines often have a fresh and juicy character because the grape contains relatively few tannins. The wine has a lighter body and higher acidity, which makes it refreshing and easy to drink. Pinot Noir is often referred to as a “food-friendly” wine, as it pairs well with a wide range of dishes.
- Aging: Pinot Noir wines can age well, with flavors and aromas developing and changing as the wine ages. The wine’s subtle flavors and aromas can become more pronounced over time, with notes of berries, spices, and earthy tones becoming more prominent. Some Pinot Noir wines can age for decades, developing layers of complexity that make them truly special.
- Use in Champagne: The Pinot Noir grape is also used to make Champagne, adding to the versatility of the grape and the wines made from it. Pinot Noir is one of the three main grape varieties used in Champagne production, along with Chardonnay and Pinot Meunier. Its use in Champagne production highlights the grape’s versatility and ability to produce high-quality wines in a variety of styles.
Pinot Noir grapes are grown in many regions around the world, including France, the United States, Italy, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand. Each region imparts its own unique characteristics to the wine, resulting in a wide range of flavors and styles. In France, Pinot Noir is grown in Burgundy and is known for producing some of the most elegant and complex wines in the world. In the United States, Pinot Noir is grown in California and Oregon, where it is known for its bright fruit flavors and silky texture.
Overall, Pinot Noir grapes are renowned for their subtlety, freshness, aging potential, and versatility. Whether you are a wine enthusiast or a casual drinker, Pinot Noir is a grape variety that is sure to impress.
About Creation Winery:
Creation Wines is a vineyard located in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley in South Africa. The winery is known for producing some of the best South African wines with distinctive flavors. Here are some unique features of Creation Wines:
- Innovative and Creative: Creation Wines takes pride in its innovative and creative winemaking process. They have a steep learning curve and have adopted new viticultural and winemaking technologies. The winery’s team of experts is dedicated to exploring new techniques and methods to produce unique and high-quality wines.
- Favorable Wine Growing Conditions: The name ‘Creation’ pays tribute to the favorable wine growing conditions on their farm. The Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, where the winery is located, has a cool climate and is influenced by the nearby Atlantic Ocean. The valley’s terroir, combined with the winery’s innovative techniques and passionate winemakers, results in wines with unique and exceptional flavors.
- First to Establish Virus-Free Vineyards: Creation Wines was the first vineyard to establish virus-free vineyards in South Africa. The winery’s commitment to producing high-quality wines extends to their vineyards. By producing virus-free grapes, they ensure that the wines produced are of the highest quality and free from any disease that can affect grape quality and flavor.
- Distinctive Flavors: According to Travel Addicts, Creation Wines produces some of the best South African wine vintages with distinctive flavors. The winery’s innovative techniques, combined with the unique terroir of the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, results in wines with unique and exceptional flavors that stand out from other South African wines.
- Cool-Climate Region: Creation Wines is located in the Hemel-en-Aarde region, which is known for its cool climate. The cool climate slows down the ripening of the grapes, resulting in wines with higher acidity and more complex flavors. The Hemel-en-Aarde Valley is a popular region for producing Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, two grape varieties that thrive in cooler climates.
Overall, Creation Wines is a winery that is dedicated to producing high-quality wines using innovative techniques and the unique terroir of the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley. Their commitment and passion for winemaking ensures that their wines are exceptional and stand out among other South African wines.
Conclusion on this wine
The Creation Estate Pinot Noir from South Africa is a beautiful and elegant wine with a nice light ruby color. It has aromas of ripe red fruit, raspberry, and dried green herbs. The vineyards of Creation are located in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley in the Walker Bay wine district, which results in a mostly cool climate. The wine has medium tannins and medium to high acidity, with fine earthy tones that give it a beautiful terroir expression. I really enjoyed this wine and celebrated International Pinot Noir Day 2023 with you.
Thank you again, Vinites, for sending me this bottle!